Monday, January 25, 2010

Jenny Kirk on Figure Skating's Eating Disorder Epidemic (Part II)

After watching the National Ice Skating Championships this past weekend I googled Sasha Cohen Ice Skater Eating Disorder? this morning and your articles on the Huffington Post came up. I was impressed reading your interview with Jenny Kirk.



I took one look at Sasha Cohen on my HD screen and thought this woman is going to drop dead of a heart attack on the ice. As a 25 year old her body appeared basically the same as the 14 year-old US competitor which was alarming to me. I felt particularly saddened by Sasha’s performance because she had stated that she wanted it so badly. I speculate that if she is struggling with any kind of food restriction this could very well have contributed to her tiredness and inability to perform her routine. She seemed despondent during the scoring and yawning during the other performances. I am not trying to diagnose her but her demeanor seemed troubling and after reading your article and interview with Jenny Kirk, eating disorders amongst high-level athletes is so very serious of an issue and I hope that interventions, right or wrong, are made even when the skater or athlete is resistant. There will always be resistance in the make up of an eating disorder, but that should not determine or ward off the care, concern and devotion of people who could be helpful.
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

No comments:

Post a Comment